Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lies Lies Lies!

     It suddenly hit me today! How many people turkey hunt and have NO IDEA what a turkey sounds like, in respects to rhythm and cadence?  Very few do! They can pick a turkey out and even can call one in sometimes, sure.  I was like that at one point. In fact, I have a video of my first calling contest, and I had no idea what a turkey sounded like. Now this post tonight is NOT made in any way to belittle those who are, with all respect, clueless. To be honest, I am clueless in some aspects of the vocabulary of the wild turkey.  My cutting sequences need work, my flydown needs improvement, and my yelps have a bit too much front end. This is exactly why I absolutely LOVE to call and compete. Every competition is a learning experience, whether on stage or in the woods.  I have heard a few great callers, but when I go to the woods and hear a live hen I just marvel at how awesome she sounds. It is the life in her yelps, cutts, cackles, and clucks that truly inspire me to become a better caller. This year I called a hen into my setup, and she clucked and purred within fifteen yards of me. It was an awesome experience! First of all, it was my first time hearing a live hen purr.  The staccato, rolling aspect of the purr really helped me realize what I needed to improve.  Secondly, this proves my and many others point of view that listening to REAL wild turkeys, and not others calling, is SOLELY the BEST way to improve one's calling.  I listen to other callers to see what I am going up against and what the judges like to hear. Other than that, I have been listening to several different cd's of REAL wild turkeys. I suppose that I am rambling, but what I am trying to say is that most callers are blind, and following the blind! Instead of listening to turkeys and how they call, they're watching hunting shows, or having their buddies tell them how to call! Information like this can be dreadful and greatly misleading.  Now getting tips from a buddy, a judge after a contest, or even a video online is all great and fine! I am getting help from Scott Hook and Tom Byle, two great men and men who know what a turkey sounds like.  But the problem comes to be when someone who knows very little about the vocabulary of a wild turkey instructs another.  Even I am wary of giving large amounts of advice, solely because I do not want to give the wrong advice!  All of this goes to say that if one is looking for tips on how to sound more like a turkey, listen to wild turkeys. There is no better teacher, especially when it comes to rhythm and cadence. I know for sure that I wouldn't like to try to teach that to someone! I can show one how to run a call, and how to sound like a turkey with that call. But once again, rhythm and cadence are something that a human cannot teach. 


Watch and listen to this hen today, courtesy of Shane Simpson, another fellow prostaffer. Pay specific attention to her pitch and cadence. Y'all have a great day.
Hen Talk 2

No comments:

Post a Comment